We are looking for enthusiastic school leavers or University/College students that want to make a difference in the world. You will get a great insight into what happens behind the scenes of a hands-on charity working in a third world country. Candidates must have a positive attitude and excellent writing, typing and verbal communication skills. This internship is based from Heartprint House Community Support Centre, Siem Reap. Cambodia. If you have a passion for travel, helping others and working in the volunteer sector; are a self-starter, with good communication skills and an ability to work with others, this is the internship for you!
Applicants must be willing to intern for a minimum of 12 weeks. During this 12 week period you will be provided with time off where you can sightsee throughout Siem Reap or further afield. This will be at your own cost however we can assist you with this if you require.
At the completion of your internship we will expect you to complete a major activity. This can be in the form of either a fundraiser, public awareness campaign or event.
THE COST OF THE 12 WEEK INTERNSHIP IS US$1500
*Please note this is an unpaid position.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED:
· Travel Insurance
· Some meals
· Police check
· Accommodation at Heartprint House Community Support Centre
· Transport in different forms, from tuk tuk, motorcycle and bicycle
· Breakfast daily
· Help arranging flights, travel insurances and important documents
· Orientation on site through a staff member
· Welcome package with SIM card
· Tips and information about free time activities
· Internship handbook
· Contact person during your stay abroad
These will be tailored to the interns needs and career choices however would include but not limited to any of the following:
· Assisting with daily operations
· Working side by side Khmer staff and educating when needed
· Event planning and management
· Team management
· Social media
· Movie making
· Making of flyers, advertising materials and other relevant documents
· Maintaining accurate documentation
· Keeping files maintained
· Field work
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
· Social media skills and movie making an advantage but not necessary
· Ability to communicate effectively and professionally at all times
· Ability to work on own with limited need for direction
· Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple priorities
· Ability to perform general office management functions
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Patience while working with those that speak English as a second language
· Must be able to travel sometimes at late notice
· Ability to work in a sometimes, stressful environment
· 24-hour emergency number
· Tailored to your needs
· Personal growth
· A unique experience not offered by others
· Future opportunities and references
· Develop communication skills
· Develop management and conflict skills
· Develop time management skills
· Have a great topic to discuss during future interviews
· At times option to travel to within Cambodia
· Applicant must be at least of high school leaver age.
· Preferably over 18 however younger applicants may be considered.
· Only open to two applicants at a time.
· Accepted interns must be able to provide a copy of a police check.
· Prospective candidates will be expected to complete an application registration form and an online interview.
29/3/20-21/6/20 : 2 positions remain
27/9/20-20/12/20 : 2 positions remain
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY DO I NEED TO PAY TO INTERN?
We are a small organisation that run solely on sponsors and donations. As all donations go directly to the projects specified we have no extra support to allow a staff member to organise volunteering. To help support our staff and pay them a small salary we rely on your volunteer contribution to keep running.
WHY CAN’T I STAY AT MY OWN ACCOMMODATION?
You are here for the full local experience, this includes living amongst the people you are supporting. You will gain so much more from your internship by immersing yourself in the local culture.
The rent on our community support centre is supported by our volunteer accommodation cost, this allows us a place to run all our community support from as well as a training centre where we provide training and up-skilling of our Khmer staff. By staying at the centre you support all of this.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
Applicant must be at least of high school leaver age, preferably over 18 however younger applicants may be considered.
HOW MANY HOURS WILL I BE INTERNING?
Hours will vary depending on what projects are on at the time. You will be expected to work five days a week with two days off for leisure. These will vary depending on current projects and volunteers visiting.
HOW SHOULD I DRESS?
We expect you to dress modestly while on projects. This means minimum knee length pants. We will supply you with a t-shirt that you will need to wear during your intern hours. In your non working hours we ask that you dress within the country’s culture.